Posted: Oct 14 2014
Now that the weather is turning you can't beat a bit of home cooking to warm up your nights. One of the best home-cooked comfort foods has to be the classic stew, and this is a great meal for athletes too.
For a simple beef stew, you will need
- 500g stewing beef
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 100 ml water
- beef stock
- 5 carrots
- 1 onion
- 4 potatoes
- salt and pepper
- Cube the beef, potatoes and carrots as prep. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan
- Slice the onion and add to the pan
- Once the onion is soft add the beef to the pan until cooked
- Add the beef stock (the amount depends entirely on how much liquid you'd like in the dish, play around if you fancy more stock you can always add beef gravy granules)
- Add the carrots and potatoes with the stock and let this simmer until the vegetables are soft. Add the water if you feel the dish is drying out; add a little at a time.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve
Everyone has their own way of making stew, so play around with this recipe as much as you like to add in your favourite flavours. Why not try adding different vegetables such as leeks, celery or parsnips.
There is nothing harmful in this dish, the amount of protein and carbs can be great for after an intense workout and you'll still be getting a good portion of vegetables. You can even make this dish leaner, by swapping the beef for turkey, an ideal dish to use up your left over turkey after Christmas!